Loire Valley Reds
Pinot Gris / Grigio / Blanc
Gamay / Beaujolais
Syrah / Shiraz
Rhone varietals / Rhone
Oregon & Washington
Amarone / Valpolicella
Italian Red - Other
Sangiovese / Tuscany
Chile & Argentina
Champagne & Sparkling Wine
Dessert Wine & Port
2012 Continuum Proprietary Red Napa
(96 Points) With 62 acres now under vine here, at an altitude ranging from 1,300 to 1,600 feet, above the fog line, Tim Mondavi describes his estate atop Pritchard Hill as “a grand cru on top of the world.” And it was showing at its best on a pellucid, breezy March morning, when I was able to clearly see individual buildings in San Francisco 60 miles to the south. His new winery was ready in time for the 2013 harvest, which Mondavi told me was the 40th harvest of his winemaking career. It’s clear that he has been re-energized by his new project. Mondavi is now making 25% of his wine in cement fermenters, which he says enhance minerality and vibrancy. He’s also following a racking regime that owes more to Burgundy than to Bordeaux--just three or four rackings in total, or less, before bottling without fining or filtration. The exciting 2012 was the highlight of my visit. ($200) (78% Cabernet Sauvignon, 11% Cabernet Franc, 6% Merlot, & 5% Petit Verdot) Bright, dark ruby-red. Urgent crushed blueberry and cassis aromas are complemented by licorice and wild herbs on the brooding nose and palate (“a noble baby,” says Mondavi). Extremely young but already utterly seamless, delivering an uncanny combination of density and finesse. Compellingly lush and pure, with serious underlying power currently masked by sweet fruit. Really wonderfully managed tannins here. Promises to be the best vintage yet from this superb estate.-- Stephen Tanzer
List Price: $225.00
Sale Price: $173.50
Quantity in Stock: 7add to cart continue shopping
Customers who bought this also bought:
- 2008 Darioush Viognier Napa - TASTING NOTES Honeysuckle, jasmine and citrus fruit aromas leap from the glass, introducing a vibrant and succulent mouthfeel o...
- 2012 Peter Michael Les Pavots Knights Valley - (96-98 Points) The 2012s made from Bordeaux varietals include their flagship wine, the 2012 Proprietary Red Les Pavots, a sen...
- 1991 Diamond Creek Cabernet Sauvignon Volcanic Hill Microclimate 4 Magnum - These are the rarest of the rare wines of Diamond Creek Winery. The Microclimate wines demonstrate the minute differences betw...
- 2010 The Vineyard House Cabernet Sauvignon Napa - This is a cooler more classic vintage and this wine is a bit tightly wound at the moment with a solid core of dark currant and ...
- 2009 Continuum Proprietary Red Napa - (94 points) The 2009 Continuum comes across as much more understated next to the 2008. It has plenty of silkiness and finesse, ...
Your shopping cart is empty!
Wine Watch Events
The Ultimate Oregon Pinot Noir Tasting at WWWB
Wed, Aug 23, 2017
"It's a hard grape to grow. As you know. Right? It's, uh, it's thin-skinned, temperamental, ripens early. It's, you ...
Ca Del Bosco Franciacorta Wine Tasting at WWWB
Thu, Aug 24, 2017
"I have enjoyed great health at a great age because every day since I can remember I have consumed a bottle of wine ...
1996 Vintage Burgundy tasting at WWWB
Fri, Aug 25, 2017
"[The senior partner] sipped [the French wine grower's Burgundy], rolled it round his tongued and swallowed it while...
Wine and Food Pairing Night the Best of the Best last night of Summer
Sat, Aug 26, 2017
Tonight we have a special pairing menu and some large bottles to celebrate the end of August 2017.
Washington State Wine Tasting at WWWB
Wed, Aug 30, 2017
Stay tuned for more info on this event
2013 Barolo Tasting at WWWB
Sat, Sep 2, 2017
This is the latest release from my favorite wine region on Earth and the 2013's are being touted as the next GREAT vintag...
Vintage Napa Cabernet Sauvignon Tasting at Wine Watch
Sat, Sep 9, 2017
Stay tuned for more info on this event!
New Zealand Tasting At Wine Watch Wine Bar
Wed, Sep 13, 2017
Stay tuned for more info on this event.
Marchesi Di Barolo Dinner at WWWB with special guest Valentina Abbona
Thu, Sep 14, 2017
"Wine is dead." - Aimé Guibert Who is this person Aime Guibert and to start such a horrible rumor!! There should be ...
1997 Vintage California Tasting at Wine Watch
Fri, Sep 15, 2017
1997 Barbour Cabernet Sauvignon Napa 1997 Behrens and Hitchcock Cabernet Sauvignon Cuvee Lola Napa 1997 Beaulie...