Loire Valley Reds
Pinot Gris / Grigio / Blanc
Gamay / Beaujolais
Syrah / Shiraz
Rhone varietals / Rhone
Oregon & Washington
Amarone / Valpolicella
Italian Red - Other
Sangiovese / Tuscany
Chile & Argentina
Champagne & Sparkling Wine
Dessert Wine & Port
2001 Arietta H Block Napa
(92 Points) The opaque purple-colored 2001 Arietta (60% Merlot and 40% Cabernet Franc) was very closed when I tasted it. Tightly wound, with dense, full-bodied notes of black fruits, charcoal, smoke, earth, and pain grille, it is big and rich, but tight, structured, and backward. Give it 3-5 years of cellaring, and drink it over the following 12-15. I do not believe it will ever achieve the aromatic complexity exhibited by the 2000. Winemaker and part owner, John Kongsgaard, produces these wines in partnership with auctioneer, Fritz Hatton. They are all fashioned from fruit grown in the â€œH Blockâ€ of the Hudson Vineyard, the highest point on that large ranch. The vineyard is planted in white volcanic ash-dominated soils. The Cabernet Franc/Merlot blend is the Arietta and the Syrah/Merlot blend is named Variation One. These striking offerings have a European sensitivity for elegance, structure, and delineation, but are clearly products of California, as evidenced by their prodigious ripeness as well as intensity. They are expensive, but impressive efforts that should be long-lived.
List Price: $120.00
Customers who bought this also bought:
- 2013 Col Solare Columbia Valley - (94 Points) Coming from the Col Solare and Quintessence vineyards on Red Mountain, the 2013 Proprietary Red is a rich, fabulous...
- 2010 Vine Cliff Cabernet Sauvignon Napa - Aroma: Nuanced aromas of both red and dark fruits, with blueberries and red cherries playing a leading role. Hints of spice, ba...
- 2014 Los Vascos Grande Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon Colchagua Chile - Beautiful ruby red color. Aromas of fresh, ripe fruits like raspberry, cherry, and plum can be discerned in the nose, along wit...
- 2010 Barone Ricasoli Brolio Chianti Classico Riserva - This wine was born from a selection of the grapes intended for the production of Brolio Chianti Classico. A traditional Reserve...
- 2007 Seghesio Barbera d'Alba La Chiesa - A very ripe and jammy wine with lots of dark cherry liqueur like fruit and this wine is made from some of the oldest vines on t...
Your shopping cart is empty!
Wine Watch Events
Wine Bar is CLOSED for a Private Event
Tue, May 22, 2018
2017 Walnut Block Sauvignon Blanc Marlborough Price: $16.00 A good amount of tropical fruit, passion fruit, kiwi, g...
Chardonnay walk around White tasting- the first walk around tasting in the New Wine Watch
Thu, May 24, 2018
Getting to know wine is getting to know the world. More than just a complex and delicious drink, wine is history, ge...
1997 Versus 1998 Italian Tasting at WWWB
Fri, May 25, 2018
Let us celebrate the occasion with wine and sweet words. Plautus We have another short week of ...
Wine Bar is OPEN for Regular Service
Sat, May 26, 2018
Stay tuned for this weeks menu!
Vintage White Wine Tasting at WWWB
Thu, May 31, 2018
I thank god for my children every day. Without them I’d never know how well red wine complements chicken nuggets. ...
1998 Vintage California Cabernet Tasting at WWWB
Fri, Jun 1, 2018
"Spent my days with a woman unkind, Smoked my stuff and drank all my wine. Made up my mind to make a new...
Wine Bar is OPEN for Regular Service
Sat, Jun 2, 2018
Stay Tuned for this weeks menu and By the Glass Selections
Grand Cru Monopole Burgundy Tasting
Thu, Jun 7, 2018
Burgundy is simple in that there are only 2 grapes grown here, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay but there are over 600 vill...
2008 Vintage Blind Yasting- 10 year old Brown Bag Wine tasting at WWWB
Fri, Jun 8, 2018
This tasting is part of our 10 year old scientific reserch program where we are tasting wines from all over the world tha...
Braida di Giacomo Bologna Piedmont wine tasting at WWWB with special guest owner/export director Norbert Reinisch
Thu, Jun 14, 2018
This is one of my favorite producers from the Piedmont and they specialize in Barbera. We will be tasting through the ne...